paddling a canoe... with a tennis racket


Programming Web with ASP/VBS is like paddling a canoe... with a tennis racket.

I am so frustrated. (explanation for all of you geeks out there) I have been programming ASP pages and discovered that a certain instance of a variant (root of all evil) in VBS can be:
- neither an object, Null, nothing, zip, nada
- nor have any length, not nothing, not zero, not a Null length.
I cannot detect it with any comparison, as if somebody erased all reference of it from the memory.
I call it varBlackHole.

Recipe for this varBlackHole?

Pull a Null from MS SQL, stuff it into an Scripting.Dictionary Object (e.g. objDict("myDBNull") ), pass that reference to a function as regular variant (e.g. funFunCheckValue( objDict("myDBNull") ) ).

Function funFunCheckValue( varBlackHole )
   ' Hello World! I am a varBlackHole variant and I am absolutely useless!
   funFunCheckValue = varBlackHole
End Function


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles