Did search engine results cut the traffic to personal blogs?

I have noticed a very unsettling statistic on my blog.
This prompted a fascinating question about AI, blogs' future, and maybe even the Internet.

Some research has confirmed my observation. There is widespread fear and doom across the blogosphere.


In this blog post, I discuss how changes in Google's search algorithms have decreased traffic to personal blogs by favoring direct answers instead of linking to external content. 

I explore the repercussions for small businesses and bloggers and speculate on possible strategies for adapting, such as creating more unique content and focusing on niche topics.



Per Uki's request, DALL·E 2024-04-21 07.51.44
A conceptual digital art piece depicting the abstract idea of artificial intelligence impacting personal blogs.


Did search engine results cut the traffic to personal blogs?

Looking at last year's numbers compared to the previous 30 days, the short answer is YES. 

Other bloggers report that,
the search engine results significantly dropped down to individual sites,
literally putting many blogs out of business. 

See my own statistics below and watch the video discussion.


Why would search engines want to cut traffic to personal websites?

As my regular readers know,
I have been professionally interested in Machine Learning and AI since 2016,
so this topic interests me immensely.

In the last couple of years, we have observed a true revolution,
with ChatGPT and Google Search following in the use of Transformer AI. 

Now that Google Search results can answer most of the "how-to questions,"
many blogs, including mine, have become irrelevant.


Will small businesses revolt and close their gates to prevent Search Engines from grabbing their content to build their AI?

This is the most exciting question of all.

It is interesting because it could change the Internet landscape as we know it.

Let's suppose that web content publishers will observe that
allowing search engine web crawlers to grab their content and intellectual property is no longer beneficial.

The sites will become what we know as Intranets,
accessed by people who request access and receive login credentials.

Reaching the reader would become much harder, but what would be the alternative? 


Please write a comment if you have some ideas about it.



What can blog writers do to improve the odds?


First, we should stop writing "How to do" blogs.
This will be very hard for me, as I have written thousands of recipes and technical tutorials.

We should start writing personalized accounts and first-account stories.

Most importantly, we all should write to the E-E-A-T guidelines:
  • Expertise
  • Experience
  • Authoritativeness
  • Trustworthiness.

We should be targeting long-tail keywords

There is only one top spot in the Google search results, so the more niche your articles are, the more likely you are to land that coveted sport.

Educate your readers. 
It takes a long time to create a good article.
If the readers like your writing, they should, in the progression of value:
  • Comment and ask questions
  • Share with friends
  • Share on Social Media
  • Include a permanent link on their website, thus earning everlasting love from the author.


What would happen to Google Blogspot (Blogger.com)?

As a user of Google Blogger, I have been worrying about it for years.
Google has been known to kill blogs, including one of my own.

The Blogspot hosting business might lose AsSense traffic,
Google might lose interest in hosting Blogspot,
and Blogspot might be killed.

I hope that it will not happen. Back up your blogspot regularly.


Will I stop blogging if Google search results are not sending traffic to my blog?

I will continue my blogging, as my motivation is the love of writing and sharing my experiences.

However, I am afraid that I will not be able to build an audience, 
and this blog will not make any residual income, which I hoped for in my retirement.

I am considering reverting to an ancient ritual of emailing my subscribers weekly.

Please be proactive and subscribe now.


What is the remedy for AI replacing the search result links?

The only remedy for the above is for the AI to reference a few of the best websites matching the query.

Alternatively, Google shares advertisement profits with top matching sites through micro-payments.


References


Granted, my blog is a tiny shrimp in the sea of hungry whales.
Also, it is a sample of 1, hence scientifically insignificant.


Last year, Google search was the number one referer.




This month, the Google search engine ranks last. 

That is behind LinkedIn, Twitter (x.co), and Facebook.




Resources


Please watch this interesting YouTube conversation, which supports my observations.







I do not have a method to obtain more subscribers for free,
I depend on you to share this post with friends,
and subscribe.





Read More



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles