Kraków (Cracow) - a dream city

Last night, I had a most unusual dream. 

It was a fantasy, as dreams tend to go, but I still wanted to share it with you.

I received, conveniently as an inheritance, a run-down space in one of the back streets of Kraków. 

The space was an inside corner of a small square, and it consisted of literally some old garages and falling-apart sheds. 

My friend, Artur (Dominika’s husband), advised me to look at the courtyard for what it really is, a piece of history. Artur is a real culture buff and a professional in this area.

After a real struggle to make it livable and some frustrating failures, I decided to hire an architect to design a house and match the style of the old red brick church from across the courtyard. 

The result was the transformation of Rugs-to-Riches into a modern, instant classic villa matching the European Renaissance style.

I even dreamed about putting some tables and umbrellas in the courtyard and having Natalia’s creperie and baking cafe. We always joked that if things go sideways, we can make a living by feeding people.

I woke up about then, but I also realized that some of the best memories I have with my dear friends involve having good times in little places like that.

Life in a city like Kraków is not only about having fun and eating excellent food but also about culture, art galleries, history, and sophistication. I love the comfort and security of my life in the USA, but I also miss the cultural aspects of life in Europe.

Here are some older photos I took to help you to visualize this dream.








P.S.:

I am pretty sure that some of the readers would be shocked by the notion of "security" of living in the USA, but some towns and neighborhoods are so peaceful that you can sleep without the worry of an open house door, an open garage door, or an unlocked car in the driveway. 

Of course, I am willing to drive for an extra few miles to avoid other unsafe neighborhoods. It is similar in Europe, too. On some streets, they will stab you for your wallet and steal your car's wheels.





As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles