Pine needle tea for good health

Our modern society lost what was a common knowledge in the old days.  This post is no news to many in outdoors pioneer circles. My mom gathered wild rose hips, herbs like chamomile for tea. I grew up surrounded by alpine forests and frequenting weekend long hikes to mountains.  

Yet this one has totally escaped me Pine needle tea!

What was more strange that when I was growing up the lemons were hard to come by, and everyone had to have their tea with lemon, for the taste, and for vitamin C content. Yet, I never have heard of pine tea.

The thing is that pine tea, which we could have in unlimited supply, have about 5 times the amount of vitamin C than lemons or orange juice. American Indians have been using it for that purpose.

Pine needles are, of course, not as tasty as lemon, but once I learned about their quality I decided to fix the situation. I have 3 young White Pines in my garden, hence the easy supply.

The way I prepare the tea is by taking a handful of fresh needles and cut them in the 1/2 inch pieces and add little black tea for flavor and some cardamon spice seeds. I boil the water and steep it all in a French press. When the tea cools down it is a truly good drink.

In addition to immunity-boosting vitamin C, pine needless contain vitamin A that helps eyes and oils that influence digestion and are helpful in aromatherapy of respiratory system. The tea also has antioxidants (flavonoids) that prevent aging and tumor growth by binding free radicals. It is also reported to help with the cardiovascular system.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles