Thrift: building from source

I was required to build Thrift from sources (to adjust it to generate Parcelable Android model classes)

uki@ thrift $ .git clone https://github.com/apache/thrift.git
uki@ thrift $ cd thrift
uki@ thrift $ .git checkout 0.9.1
uki@ thrift $ ./cleanup.sh
uki@ thrift $ ./bootstrap.sh
uki@ thrift $ ./configure
uki@ thrift $ sudo make
uki@ thrift $ sudo make install

I get an error on my Mac:

./src/thrift/cxxfunctional.h:93:18: error: no member named 'bind' in namespace 'std'; did you mean 'find'?



Attempted solution 1:

I found a post on http://blog.evernote.com/
change file:
thrift/compiler/cpp/src/thriftl.ll
line 51 to #include "thrifty.hh"

src/thriftl.ll:51:10: fatal error: 'thrifty.hh' file not found
#include "thrifty.hh"
THIS SOLUTION CLEARLY DOES NOT WORK

Attempted solution 2:

As I was reading up I found that the version of my C++ might be wrong:

"libc++, the default C++ standard library in 10.9, doesn't include the experimental TR1 headers - just their standardized C++11 versions"

Checking the existing version of C++ on Mac:

 $ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)



Installed newest C++ from brew

$ brew install gcc49


in my ~/.profile I added these 2 lines:

# C++ HOME - updated: Sept 16, 2014
export CPP_HOME=/usr/local/Cellar/gcc/4.9.1/bin/
export PATH=${PATH}:${CPP_HOME}
alias g++="/usr/local/Cellar/gcc/4.9.1/bin/cpp-4.9"
alias gcc="/usr/local/Cellar/gcc/4.9.1/bin/cpp-4.9"


now in the Terminal I can verify this:

uki@ thrift $ gcc --version
cpp-4.9 (Homebrew gcc 4.9.1) 4.9.1



The exercise is not complete yet, so I was not able to verify if this is a fix.




As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles