Android Studio: migrating to 1.0

Exciting moment -- Android Studio is not a baby anymore!
However, the rite of passage did not come without the growing pains.




The application icon: what happened? We went quite cute and beloved robot (left) to what may be described as an adolescent imitation of Freemasons symbol (center).. some kind of grandiose undercurrents? Not cool.



OK, so the icon is PLAIN UGLY, I guess there is a trend there and everyone is jumping on this bandwagon, give it few years, we will come back to pretty candy-like icons.

Migrating the projects... 

it is really a shame that a project created with Android Studio a 3 days ago cannot be run today, not a big deal to me, but my students who are new to computer science will be thrown off.

Actually, I gave up on trying to UPDATE my project and just created new one, then copied my modules over to it. Not cool, but it worked just fine.

Please note the following:

1) in your main project (e.g. CIT299) build.gradle

    dependencies {
        classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:1.0.0'


2) in ALL your modules build.gradle REPLACE runProguard false with minifyEnabled true

   buildTypes {
        release {
            runProguard false           
            proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-rules.pro'

        }
    }


    buildTypes {
        release {
            apply plugin: 'maven'
            apply plugin: 'eclipse'
            minifyEnabled false
            proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-rules.txt'
        }
    }




After that I was able to run everything, so it is not a huge deal.

Now, I can sit and watch the Memory Monitor for Facebook eating all my memory :)




If you like this post, please give me your 2 cents ($0.02 litterally) to show token of appreciation and encourage me to write more:

Donate Bitcoins



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles