Running Android APK in the Mac Chrome browser

I have had this dilemma for a while now "Android or JavaFX" for creating UI (user interface) applications. If I create Android, then great, but that limits me to phones/tablets, what about computers?

Also, when developing Android apps your computer/laptop needs either an emulator, or you have to use a phone/tablet to test run the apps.

Emulator with it's heavy footprint is not really a solution, unless you are actively developing, so I was looking for easier way to run my apps at any time.

I have come across this ARChon solution when it first came out and decided to give it a go.

First I downloaded their extension and the demo game (2048), copied it to a ARChon folder in my Applications and unzipped both:

in Chrome browser I went to Chrome > Preferences > Extensions


and installed both and run (Launch on the game) it successfully without a problem.

Then I DUPLICATED to the folder of the GAME and replaced their APK with mine, I adjusted the manifest.json with some OBVIOUS changes, and added this folder to Chrome Extensions again, I was able to run it without any problems.



{
  "app": {
    "background": {
      "page": "app_main.html"
    }
  },
  "arc_metadata": {
    "apkList": [
      "MyApp-UKI-SNAPSHOT.apk"    ],
    "enableExternalDirectory": false,
    "formFactor": "phone",
    "name": "MyApp-UKI",    "orientation": "landscape",    "packageName": "com.mycompany.android.myapp",    "useGoogleContactsSyncAdapter": false,
    "usePlayServices": [
      "gcm"
    ]
  },
  "default_locale": "en",
  "icons": {
    "16": "icon.png",
    "128": "icon.png"
  },







As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles