Auschwitz "Au Revoir Les Enfants" (Goodbye Children)

I watched the movie "Au Revoir Les Enfants" (Goodbye Children) set in the Catholic School in France during the German occupation.
The school was for the boys from the rich families to keep them away from the dangerous cities. The priest, the principal of the school, together with the staff took in a couple of Jewish boys. The story unfolds until the boys get arrested by the Gestapo and are carried away, we learn that they get killed, one of them eventually dies in Auschwitz.

Auschwitz was one of the biggest concentration camps set by the Nazi, during the war about 1.1 million people were killed in there, 90% of that were Jewish. 

Why do I write this? - because it strikes a personal note. 

Auschwitz (Oświęcim) is 88 km from my hometown, the distance you can drive in 1.5 hour. 

I visited the place when I was a child and I still bear a deep scar, some 20 years later. 

People please don't hate each other: black and white, Jewish and Arabs, Catholics and Protestants, Shi'a and Sunni - we are no different from each other and with a little soul-searching and mindfulness we can find the peace for each other.

I shall write about the experiences of my family during the war...




As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles