A Cook and Master Ikkyu

One day a man came to the famous Japanese Zen master Ikkyu. The man said:
- "Master, I work hard as a cook, yet the inn-keeper treats me like a worthless dog. Master, please help me with the inn-keeper, you are a very respected man in the town."
Ikkyu, without a word moved on to make a tea. After the tea Ikkyu send the man away with these words:
- "Go and become a good cook"
The men went away a little offended and disappointed, but out of the respect to the great master, he did study the art of cooking. After the while he came back to the master and said:
- "Master, I work hard and I became one of the better cooks in town, the inn-keeper is better now, but she still yells at me and pushes me around. Master, being a great cook is not working... please help this time."

Master Ikkyu tasted the sweets that the man brought and indeed they were first class. The cook thought - "Now the master will send the word to the inn-keeper for me"
Ikkyu upon finishing the sweets said "Observe and learn the art of being the inn-keeper, understand how your master thinks."
This was the strangest request, thought the cook, but he went away as it was not a custom to argue with the master.

A while later the cook comes back to Ikkyu and says:
"Master, I work hard, I became the best cook and I learned the art of inn-keeping, I realized I could go and work for anybody I would like to, yet I decided to stay in my inn because the keeper became quite agreeable."

"Was it she, or you that changed?" asked master.
"Ah, Master, indeed it was I" the cook replied.

"Now you know the true path: 1) work hard, 2) study your art, become good at what you do, 3) be mindful of others around you and 4) be mindful of your own thoughts."


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles