Development Methodology and Project Management

This management methodology is a collection of the best practices I gathered over last 15 years of work. During that time, I have seen a many success stories and great failures wasting tens of millions of dollars. I have put together these notes because even today, after the mountain of books have been published on the subject, I can still see managers doing things in the way that has been described as disastrous more than a decade ago. 

I hope that I can convey some of my observations to the coworkers and clients I will have a privilege to work with, I also hope that this will help me to establish some best practices to follow and improve upon.

My coverage may not be all encompassing, but it is definitely a rich experience.

  • I have studied the culture and the mindset of the Japanese "Continuous Improvement", or kaizen (改善) while living and studying in Japan.
  • I have experienced the management style of USMC considered one of the most successfully managed organizations in America,
  • In USMC I studied the Total Quality Management (TQM) also heavily based on Japanese corporate management
  • I have seen 6 Sigma accounting like "MBA" approaches
  • I have seen misdirected "throw lots of the money at it" - consulting outsourcing approach
  • I have seen the nightmares of outsourcing to cheap labor in India, Philippines and Poland
  • I have lived the "lack up the geeks in the server-room for few months and let's see what comes out" approach
  • I worked the 14-hour days, occasionally overnight -- work until you quit approach
  • I have done the pair-programming, Agile Methods and Extreme programming
  • I have worked for companies with Rational Unified Process RUP
  • and most of all I have seen a lot of "everyone on the project do your own thing and hope for good outcome" approach
read more at my WIKI...

http://www.taktico.com/wiki/jsp/Wiki?topic=Methodology&action=action_printable&depth=1&hideform=true


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles