Why free AWS is not a good solution for Machine Learning research.

The free Amazon AWS instance t2.micro gives me the memory error when running my Machine Learning exercises (normalization of a large data set).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
MemoryError Traceback (most recent call last)
in ()
----> 1 X_normalized = normalize_color_intensity(X_train)
Looking closer t2.micro has following congiguration: 1 CPU 1 GB RAM So basically it is as I was running my stuff on less than a Rasberry Pi (4 cores, 2GB RAM). Ouch! To surpass my MacBook Pro (4 cores 16GB RAM) I would have to run it on t2.2xlarge with: 8C PU 32 GB RAM Which is $0.376 per hour, or $279 per month. The AWS is a good option for short sessions when very powerful computer instances are needed, and it is good for corporate web servers, but for normal researcher who needs to run experiments day in and day out I would recommend  to buy gaming machine with top GPU, or two.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles