Corrupt NVidia driver causes user to be stuck in the login screen

I was playing with dual monitors on my NVidia GTX 1050Ti card and at some point, the UI stopped to allow me to log in. It was going in the loop after each (correct) login.

Steps to fix it:

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1
or F2, F3

Log into in Command Line

Remove NVidia drivers
apt-get purge nvidia-*
Add repository
add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa 

Refresh packages
sudo apt-get update


Install your NVidia driver  GTX 1050Ti driver 275.10
apt-get install nvidia-375

Reboot

sudo reboot

This has fixed it for me!


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles