Soul searching

Every several months I am asking myself the question: what's next?

For the last 4 months, I've been creating a social network application CommunitySportsDesk.com in GWT with very good results. 

I used Spring, Hibernate, Maven and Ant. 

The project will keep on going for another year and a half, so I will get plenty of these technologies.

Still, the question remains, what's next?

The rest of the company is looking at Flex3. 

In the last several years we learned to avoid the XML-hell, and (Java or Action) Script, but Adobe did not.
I am missing rich application functionality in HTML/CSS/JS GWT, but I cherish Java tools.


Then, again I realize I have been writing this and reading the Web the whole morning on iPhone, with my Mac book pro stuffed in the backpack next to me - laptops become simply obsolete for everyday users.


Sun is writing the JVM for iPhone and if Apple allows it, we can write apps in Java.

Objective-C may be powerful but is verbose, ugly, and does not have as much community support as Java, I am talking about frameworks, not the language itself.

I will wait for iPhone Java patiently while trying to warm myself to Objective-C.

Like me, people will want to use the fully-featured (Web) applications on their mobile devices.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles