"Children running" interpretation of Rumi



I used to be shy,
and You made me sing.

I used to refuse to eat,
now, I call for more wine.

I used to sit in somber dignity,
on my mat and pray.

Now, children run around
and make funny faces at me.

---------------

Rumi was a Muslim spiritual leader and this poem may raise some eyebrows;
alcohol is forbidden and prayer is utmost respected,
yet Rumi as a Sufi mystic is trying to make another point from a simple decadence.

His understanding of God's omnipresence transcends convention.
He understands and sees God everywhere, in love, in happiness and especially in children faces.
He does not limit God to self-restraint, fasting and the prayers.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles