Java "Double" inacurancy

I wrote an application recently to calculate measurements for rebuilding an engine. The measurements must be accurate to the tenths thousands of an inch (0.0001 inch).
What I found out, that the standard floating point (double length) operations in Java are extremely inaccurate rendering my program useless for practical purposes.
Of course I can round off the results to one decimal point before and get it accurate enough, but the fact that $2.00 calculator is more accurate than $4,500.00 Apple G4 just upsets me.



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles