Our decadent world

The day started as usual. On the way to school I wanted to concentrate on my own thoughts. I chose not listen to the radio; I didn't want to hear all of the bad news. Usually I listen to NPR, they are somewhat more informative and dwell less on controversy.
The peace was not meant for me this morning, on the way I almost had an accident. Still shaky, I went to the class.

Two of my desk mates, the cousins, were missing. Again -- I thought, they shall be coming-in couple of hours with a huge hang-over and a story of the last night's outings.
Only one showed up. With the terror in his eyes he said something about his cousin (I decided to skip the name) being shot, and went off to our academic supervisor.
Upon his return, I found out that, the previous night, the guy was out with their friend at about 8:30 PM, when they both got shot in front the Dominick's food store by some unknown gang. He got shot in the back, the bullet ricocheted off his spine and punctured his lung. Their friend, a 19-old girl, was shot to neck and died shortly after.

I used to shop in that store (Belmont & Kimball) all the time when we lived on Central Park. I went to the same high school as the victim and the shooter, the Carl Schulz H.S.

What can I say, I hope he will recover, doctors say he may not walk again...

I was to study and program Java tonight, but I just viewed some sites on the Internet. I browsed some photo galleries with japanese views, mostly wabi-sabi in the character. I've red story about the decadence of Japanese culture, another about "My hobby is shopping" in the same locale and spirit, and another one on the meat consumption in that country.

Buddhist are to refrain from meat consumption, I guess I don't follow that, so cannot expect Japanese to do it either.

I browsed thru the Fudo-Myoo-o deities in search for peace and enlightenment in this violent and decadent world.
Yet, still, ... I've got to meditate on cutting thru all the ignorance and passions.

So many people know that our culture is over the top and tumbling down, would strong moral stand slow it down? Who is right?

Liliann has learned how to walk and turn, she enjoyed it so much today that she spend hours just walking around the house. I will teach her buddhist morals as she grows up.
She needs faith.



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles