The Philadelphia Story, Casablanca, at al.

A few days ago, thanks to a YouTube show on "transatlantic accent", and entirely by chance, I discovered a new passion.

I will never see Hollywood the same way. 

In 2014, we spend much of that year in Hollywood with Natalia, and honestly, we did not regard the place as impressive. I never thought about "Hollywood" movies as more than 1980 and 1990 cliche, movies I grew up on.

Today, I see Hollywood totally different, the way it is supposed to be seen.

I discovered 1940s movies and I absolutely love them.

"Casablanca"
"All about Eve"
"The Philadelphia Story"


They feel refreshing comparing to a lot of new, woke, stuff on Netflix. They are surprisingly current, as if people did not change in last 80 years. 

Heck, as an anthropologist, I knew people did not change much in last 80 thousand years, but I never felt it.

These movies are like time capsules that make us feel the life so long ago. We feel for the actors, we love them, we cry for them. They are real.


I am very surprised, how outspoken the women were, honestly, today's corporate conversations are more polite and sometimes more reserved.

The clouds of cigarette smoke and constant sessions of drink area not off-putting, but then that was my childhood, too.

The acting, I expected to be stuffy and theatrical, but, no, it is quite refined and often much superior to modern movies.


I sincerely recommend this genre, and I hope you would love it as much as I did.







As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles