cuddy-top-stepped mast with tabernacle

The idea of using the cabin top set up is to clear the space inside the cuddy and to easy the folding of the mast, as well as not having big holes in the roof.

I just ordered the tabernacle parts from Ruddy Nickerson:
http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR2151
http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS207

I can do the wood/glass work myself, etc. to strengthen the cuddy roof.

Before I attempt any mast modifications, I would:

1) add few profiled ribs made of thick plywood that would be glassed to the roof (upside down), to make the roof rigid.
2) add forward posts that would support the roof to the keel in the V
3) add plywood support bulkhead to the opening of the cuddy

The above I have to do anyway. Currently I have a big wooden partition board dividing the cuddy in half.

If (and I mean "if") I decide to add the tabernacle I would:

4) glass over the existing holes and ad the glass thickness in the middle and in the corners of the roof (I have a lot of holes and cut-outs)
5) add bigger plywood plates above and below the deck, bolted thru with tabernacle above the deck (easy folding)
6) add the center mast support when under the sail

The biggest weight would be the bulkhead, but I wanted to do it anyway, and it will be just few pounds.
I will post the conversion process and photos in due time.

_________________
O'Day DaySailer hull #1949 class/sail #DS 103


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles