O'Day Day Sailer practice day on Diamond Lake

Roman and I took the Day Sailer out. We practiced several things.

Upwind jib-only sailing is hard. After trying several times, we got so close to the lee shore that we had to use my electric motor to prevent being pushed onto people's peers. I would love to have at least a minimal shoal keel in addition to the retractable centerboard to prevent it from sailing sideways.

Motoring upwind was also difficult, as the wind was brisk, about 15 knots, and I had only 55 pounds of electric thrust motor.

Heaving to the wind worked very well; here are the steps:

1) starboard tack,  
2) tightened the jib with the starboard sheet until it backfilled, 
3) locked rudder to the lee
4) loosen the main a little. 

While heaving to the wind, you can relax or work on the boat, as your hands are free. We have heaved to the wind many times while sailing with family to sunbathe or have a picnic.

The boat sails by itself on the "beam reach" at a slow one or two knows to the lee, depending on how much the main is helping. I tie the main just enough not to luff.


I installed a quick
jib douse (downhaul) line tied up the top of the jib. This thin line goes through some hanks to the tack and from there to the cockpit. Once I release the jib halyard and pull on this line, the jib gets pulled to the deck without the need to go to the bow. It is a great safety feature for a sudden squall.

I tested the ballast of two 50+ pound bags of sand paced midship. They added some stability to the boat in addition to the 65-pound battery I am carrying center aft. I will need all the stability I can get when sailing with my wife and daughter, Lili.

We sailed whole day, making a point of docking with the wind on our nose, it took us quite a while to beat upwind, with many close calls in shallow waters, or maneuvering near the swim line. We did make it back without the help of the motor.






As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles