wild horses in the coal mine

Today, at work, was a second day of the training of the 6 newly hired college graduates. The tranning is going very well, even to my own suprise -- I am able to talk, keep them occupied and productive for the whole 8 hours. My thoat hurt, but I feel that we accomplished a lot.

I decided to forgo the typical Power-Point presentation deal and focus on the development of a real, hands-on application which I created for that purpose. Boy, is there a difference from that dry stuff others were presenting!

I had a boss once a while ago who was stressing the need to prepare the good presentation and printed documentation. When I finally heard him lecture, I knew why, ouch!


It is worth mentioning that despite the fact that they are all computer major with Java as a language, they have no skills whatsoever required in our proffesion. Shame on the universities and teachers who still teach ASP/VB, ridicuolous!

I got a call from the Gen. H. about 7PM, clear message: cut cost on the free lunches for trainees, make them work at night, add an individual projects to what they need to accomplish, despite the fact that they did not know a squat before and are being bombarded by too much knowledge too fast already.

The instructiions I got are more than a slightly bit against my salty marine principles of family-like-team, shoot-to-kill and get-out-and-play, but I need to keep my bearing for the course.

I got an image in my mind, the wild horses, in the coal mine. Did I just hear a whip sound? Next week on Wednesday they will take us to the dinner after work (like that will make anybody feel better), so we can get to know each other better, I cannot wait, but then, Wednesday is my sailing night, too bad I will miss the team-building.



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles