72 inch maple self bow

I just made a maple self bow, not sure what is the draw weight (I
don't have the fish scale), but on purpose I made it much lighter than
my 60# Kudu recurve.

It took me several hours, but I was able to shoot several dozen of
arrows and it is still in one piece.
I would preferably make the bow shorter than 72 inch, but in order to
keep a nice clearance of about 4 inches at the handle, the bow would
have to bend much more which I did not want to risk with poor maple I
had. I braided the bow string with six 15# strands of artificial
sinew, next one I will do with 9 strings.

In few days if the bow holds up, I will varnish it and make a nice
leather handle.



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles