Why traditional archery?

Why traditional archery?

Traditional archery is the art of shooting with the bow and arrows the way they were made for a least 20,000 years.

Disclaimer: I am not a hunter, I have never shot an animal, even if I am an expert rifleman (ex-US Marine). There is, however, a comforting feeling when one is profficient with a weapon that can put a meal on the table, or defend when needed (much imagination required).

So why archery, especially why traditional?

There are rifles and there are compound bows, I have shot both types and I am in awe with their power. Yet, there are not a much fun. Walking thru the fields and forests and shoting the rifle is out of question, even with the compound it is difficult - too much hassle, noise and technology involved. When they break, the game is over. You can make a good bow in few hours.

There is also certain level of stigma associated with guns especially around the cities like Chicago, similarly the compound bows are used mostly by hunters.

A beatifully made wooden bow has certain level of class and poetry to it, most people can appreciate.
Target shooting requires concentration and Zen-like practice. Walking in the outdoors and shooting this light and quiet weapon is a adventurous and fun.

I am also an anthropologist at heart, understanding how our ancestors fended for themselves is insightful and fulfilling.

As far a practice goes I can shoot hundreds of times in my basement, or back-woods, daily if I want, something I would not be able to do with the rifle, or even a powerful compound bow.

Many newcomers, myself included, ask about the accurancy, power and the speed.

Accurancy of the traditional bow, as shown by the Olympic archers can be pin-point at 40 meters (yards). People kill big game at this distance, shoot coins thrown in the air, hunt birds, squirrels and fish. The shotgun deer hunters don't shoot farther than that. The bow can be deadly at 145 meters (yards) which is the practice distance used by traditional archers in Korea.

My recurve bow (60# lbs.) pierce a door 4 inch deep, I have learned this when I missed my target hung on that door. I have two observations:
1) compound may be stronger, but I thing it is commertialism that drives us to buy better and faster bows.
2) a wooden shield, or light armor might be ineffective in stopping the arrow.

Now, we are talking here about 60# bow, something that the average man could shoot with a little practice, in fact American Indians often used 45# bows for light game and deer, the war bows were 120# (Mongolian recurve) to 180# for English long bows. My feeling is that we need lots of exercise, not a fancier technology. These war bows would definitely be able to kill at the effective range of M16A2 rifle (not at the same firing rate of course).

I also have an advise for novice bowman, get a 45# longbow, or recurve, it is the minimum weight that is legal for a deer hunt in most of the states, and it is comfortable to have fun with. My 60# is too strong for the first time bow, my muscles used to hurt after shooting in the beginning, which may take away the fun. You will develop the strenght eventually,  but it is better to start light.



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My favorite quotations..


“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  by Robert A. Heinlein

"We are but habits and memories we chose to carry along." ~ Uki D. Lucas


Popular Recent Articles